Making Space:Sensing Place

In October 2009, along with artist Thurle Wright, I was awarded a Making Space:Sensing Place Fellowship; part of the HAT: Here and There International Exchange Programme, managed by A Fine Line:Cultural Practice. The Fellowship includes residencies with Britto Arts in Dhaka, Bangladesh, with Arts Reverie in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, with The V&A Museum of Childhood, Bethnal Green, London and with The Harley Gallery, Nottinghamshire. Working and collaborating with artists and craftspeople from the UK, Bangladesh and India, responding to the collections and spaces we encounter and sharing these experiences through a touring exhibition and educational workshops.

This blog, which is still developing and being added to, is a record of my experiences during the MS:SP Fellowship. Steven Follen.
www.stevenfollen.com

Sunday 31 January 2010

Catch Up

Airports are strange places, constantly shifting and changing; people constantly moving through, while the winter sky outside seems calm. I didn’t think I would be typing my very first, ever, blog entry here, in the departure lounge of Heathrow. Such a daunting task it should have calm and quiet, to set a scene. I had been hoping to type an ‘introduction’ or ‘catch up’ at some point during the last two weeks, but never got there. The time since hearing I had been awarded the MSSP fellowship seems to have disappeared at an accelerating rate, the inverse of a half – life. I’m sitting here typing because I wanted to capture something now, before I arrived in Bangladesh before the project ‘started proper’
The journey to this point has been an exciting route of discovery and when I look back through my notebook there is a wealth of information already discovered. The logistics have been a challenge in themselves, which wouldn’t have been possible without the support of many friends and family, Amanda and Seth have been amazing. I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to have the opportunity to undertake a project like this. I will miss them both incredibly, and H too. THANK YOU! xxx. I am grateful to my family for shifting themselves around the country and helping us in our juggle of work and family life, again it would not have been possible without their generosity. My thanks go to friends and colleagues for their enthusiasm, comments, help and stomach remedies. Particular thanks go to: Frances for sending me the email, proposing me, and sharing her time to help me learn more of Gujarat (and donate stomach remedies). To Charlotte, David and Brian for their support in allowing me the space to pursue this project. To Judy for the maps of Kutch and information about her own trip to explore the textiles of the region. To Simone for her advice, and clear-headed comments which always put things into perspective and inspire (and more stomach remedies!).